Planning & Management
1. Does your organization have written policies regarding its commitment to, and strategies and goals for implementing sustainable operations. Is this policy shared with your employees, customers and the general public?
2. Has your management and employees been educated on your sustainability policies, practices, and goals?
3. Do you have a designated individual or working group guiding your company on sustainable operations and best practices?
4. Do you have a formal training program or orientation for new employees?
5. Do you have employee feedback programs to collect input and measure engagement?
Purchasing & Waste Management
1. Do you have written sustainable purchasing policies, goals, and practices?
2. Do you have a zero waste plan including a waste management policy and waste diversion goals and practices?
3. Do the products or services sold/provided by your organization have a least one eco-friendly feature (e.g. recycled or post consumer waste content, sourced locally, built around a local/regional experience, etc.)?
4. Have you reviewed your supply chain in the last three years to increase purchases that are sustainable (e.g. locally-sourced, recycled, reusable, returnable, fair trade, etc.)?
5. Are your office purchases made with product waste and recyclability in mind?
6. Do you purchase copy, computer and fax paper that contain recycled content?
7. Are your printed materials produced sustainably (e.g. use soy ink or other low VOC inks, on paper with recycled content, etc.)?
8. Do you purchase janitorial paper products (e.g. toilet paper, paper towels, etc) containing recycled content?
9. Do you refurbish or purchase pre-owned office furniture and/or equipment before buying new?
10. Do you donate or recycle old office furniture?
11. Have you conducted a waste audit with Teton County Solid Waste and Recycling (or equivalent) to evaluate the major waste streams generated by your business, and used this information to establish a successful reduce/reuse/recycle program?
12. Do you track your waste (e.g. garbage generated, recycled materials, etc.)?
13. Do you have a recycling policy for all materials accepted by Teton County Solid Waste and Recycling?
14. Does your organization recycle corrugated cardboard and educate employees about proper recycling protocol [e.g. flattening all boxes, not recycling corrugated cardboard with food residue or wax/foil coating, not recycling paper board (cereal boxes, six pack holders, egg cartons), emptying corrugated boxes of all contents]?
15. Do you bring at least one of the following to the Teton County Solid Waste and Recycling: electronic waste, household hazardous waste, recyclable construction materials, old appliances, worn clothing/textiles, yard waste?
16. Do you have a paper reduction strategy (e.g. electronic over paper communications, two sided printing, reusing paper, etc.)?
17. Is two-sided printing and copying a standard office practice?
18. Do you encourage paperless correspondence and marketing materials and have made efforts to reduce catalogs, publications and junk mail by utilizing junk mail reduction services (e.g. Catalog Choice, Paper Karma, etc.)?
19. Is your billing conducted electronically?
20. Do you use reusable dishware and cutlery in your retail and employee food operations?
21. Do you encourage employees to bring their own reusable water bottles and not to purchase bottled water?
22. Do you offer opportunities or incentives to customers/clients to bring their own or use your shopping bags, coffee mugs, to-go containers, etc?
23. Do you provide durable, reusable shopping bags and encourage employees to use these for daily errands, such as mail, office supply shopping and grocery runs?
24. Have your employees been educated on what is recyclable locally and what is not (via signage or formal training)?
25. Do you have multiple, accessible, clearly-labeled recycling bins around the office?
1. Do you have written energy efficiency, conservation, and renewables policies, goals, and practices?
2. Do you track your energy usage? Greenhouse gas emissions?
3. Does your business/organization purchase green power from Lower Valley Energy (or renewable energy credits from other sources), or have onsite use of renewable energy resources?
4. Have you completed an energy audit in the last three years and have implemented, or plan to implement, recommended changes?
5. Does your operations use programmable thermostats?
6. Are your lighting, computers and monitors turned off when not in use and are programmed for “sleep” mode. Do you have an employee education program to support this practice?
7. Have you replaced incandescent bulbs with more energy-efficient LED bulbs?
8. Have you installed motion sensors and timers where applicable for interior and exterior lighting and fixtures?
9. Have you performed regular maintenance on your HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) and other system so that they operate efficiently?
10. When replacing old appliances, do you choose energy-efficient ones with the Energy Star certification. (Note: Lower Valley Energy has a rebate program to upgrade to more efficient appliances.)?
1. Do you have written water conservation policies, goals, and practices?
2. Have you completed a water audit in the last three years and have implemented recommended changes?
3. Do you have a baseline and are tracking your water usage?
4. Have you installed low-flow fixtures such as faucet aerators, toilets, shower-heads, and kitchen sprayers, etc?
1. Do you have written alternative transportation policies, goals, and practices?
2. Do you have a baseline and are tracking your transportation (e.g. trips by car, vehicle miles traveled, etc.)?
3. Have you evaluated your fleet for use of alternative fuels and fuel efficiencies. (note: Yellowstone Teton Clean Energy Coalition can assist with this)?
4. Do you utilize alternative fuel (e.g. biodiesel) in your vehicles, or have electric vehicles?
5. Do you encourage and/or reward employees for taking alternative transportation to work (e.g. bus, carpool, bike, walk)?
1. Do you have written community investment policies, goals, and practices?
2. Is your business/organization a member of one or more local sustainability programs (e.g. 1% for the Tetons, RRR Business Leaders, Jackson Hole Yellowstone and Sustainable Destination Program Council, etc.)?
3. Do you provide financial or in-kind support to one or more local sustainability programs?
4. Do you encourage management and employees to volunteer for or otherwise contribute to community organizations and activities?
5. Do you encourage customers to engage in and support local sustainability programs and activities?
6. Do you encourage your customers to buy locally produced services and products?
Social Access & Equity
1. Do you have a plan that reaches out to underrepresented groups in the community that reduces or removes barriers to their employment or participation (e.g., language)? Please explain.
2. Do you have provisions and staff training for assisting physically or developmentally disabled customers or participants? Please explain.
3. Do you have a policy that commits your business or organization to equal hiring and pay of staff, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disabilities?
Do not have paid staff
Risk Management/ Health and Safety
1. Do you have policies and procedures in place to support the monitoring and maintenance of basic life safety practices (e.g. fire extinguishers, fire/smoke detection systems, exit signage, CPR, first aid kits, etc.)?
2. Does your business or organization have an emergency response plan that your staff (and volunteers) are familiar with?
Marketing & Communications
1. Do you have a written marketing and communications plan?
2. Have you provided or made accessible information of your sustainability goals and activities?
3. Do you solicit feedback on your sustainability from staff and customers?
4. Do you publish a report or make accessible information how effective you are in meeting sustainability goals?
Training, Certification, & Recognition
1. Has your organization applied for or is certified by one or more sustainability recognition or certification programs (e.g. USGBC LEED, Green Key, Trip Advisor Green Leaders, ISO 14001, etc.)?
2. Has your management and/or employees attended sustainability themed workshops or presentations? – please list.
Above & Beyond: Innovation Credits